Annual 3MT-Three Minutes Thesis contest @ EUSIPCO
- Category: Non categorizzato
- Published: Monday, 09 February 2015 15:55
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 366
Initialized in 2015 in Nice, EURASIP organizes each year a 3MT-Three Minutes Thesis contest.
Top listed candidates are invited to give a 3minutes presentation on their PhD thesis during the annual EUSIPCO conference.
3MT is an exercise for students to consolidate their ideas so they can present them concisely to an audience specialized in different signal processing fields. Together with scientific and technical quality,
EURASIP wants to promote transversal skills of young researchers such as ora presentation skills. Additional aim is to help those researchers to gain visibility of their work.
“Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ) which challenges research higher degree students to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its significance in just three minutes in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
3MT is not an exercise in trivialising or ‘dumbing-down’ research but forces students to consolidate their ideas and crystallise their research discoveries.”
The first 3MT was held at UQ in 2008 with 160 PhD students competing. In 2009 and 2010 the 3MT competition was promoted to other Australian
and New Zealand universities and enthusiasm for the concept grew. Due to its adoption in numerous universities, a multi-national event was developed, and the Inaugural Trans-Tasman 3MT competition was held at UQ in 2010.
Since 2011 the popularity of the competition has increased and 3MT competitions are now held in at least 170 universities across more than 17 countries worldwide.
In November 2013, the first Universitas 21 (U21) 3MT competition was held with several universities from around the world competing in a virtual competition.
Rules for Competition
The 3MT EUSIPCO competition will be performed according to the following basic rules:
- Eligibility: any PhD student
- The competition will be announced in both EUSIPCO and EURASIP web pages.
- Every participant is required to submit a video of 3 minutes and 1 page summary of his PhD, following the same template as the one of the conference papers. In case one of the finalists decides to attend EUSIPCO to participate in the 3MT contest day, only one day registration will be requested. Students with accepted papers in the conference are not required to make any additional registration.
- Out of all the submissions a maximum of 10 videos and a minimum of 5 will be selected. The selection will be carried out by the 3MT Committee.
- Acceptance of participation will be based on the submitted video and final registration and attendance confirmation.
- The final contest will take place during EUSIPCO. The video of the winner will be posted on EURASIP video channel.
- Video submission requirements: all the video formats are accepted. The name of the video file should have the same name of the participant and should not exceed 3 minutes of duration. -Click here sor the “Presentation rules and judging criteria”.
EURASIP will give a 1.500 euros research travel grant to the first prize so that the PhD student can cover the attendance to EUSIPCO!